Getting on Stage and Post Show Update

Competing in my first bodybuilding competition was everything I thought it would be and nothing like I thought it would be. Obviously, the process tested my physical and mental limits but it was so much more than that. It was a journey filled with challenges, victories, and now post-show struggles that have pushed me to grow in ways I could have never imagined.

The process to get to the stage was everything I wanted it to be. I spent 11 months losing weight and building muscle. I went through different coaches and training programs to find what worked for me. I lost a total of 34lbs from the start in December of 2022 to the stage. I didn’t hate the strictness of the diet. In fact, I loved having structure and knowing exactly what I needed to do for workouts and eating. I felt as ready as I could be when it came to getting on stage.

The process of getting on stage was fun, all the preparation, meeting my fellow competitors, etc. But the day of, well, I didn’t plan well. I picked a time for my second tan that was way too close to be getting on stage. I should have started my makeup sooner, so I had time to eat and pump my muscles before getting on stage. Neither of these happened. As a result, for someone who loves planning and structure, I was running around like a chicken with my head cut off. I barely got my lipstick on before I walked out on stage.


Once I was on stage, I blanked. Stepping onto the stage was both exhilarating and nerve-wracking. The bright lights, the audience, and the other competitors created an atmosphere unlike anything I'd ever experienced. I have heard other competitors say this but never expected it to be me. I forgot how to pose when to pose, and honestly, it was far from my best. Yes, most of you will say, yeah, but you did it, and you got on stage. Of course, I am proud of the journey there but the moments on stage were certainly not my best. I had no clue how rushed the process would be, but in checking around with other competitors, there’s no way I could have planned for that. Every show is different, so you have to roll with it. Something I am not good at.

I was done within 20 minutes of starting. It went so quickly it was like it didn’t happen. In between pre-judging and finals, I got to hang out with the two other figure girls who were competing, and I would definitely say that was a highlight. To talk to people who have the same experience as you, in a spot that is so regimented, is just wonderful. I don’t have many friends that do this so it was great to hang out with them and get to download our experiences with each other.


By the time finals came and I got to go back on stage to do my individual routine, I was relaxed and knew it didn’t matter what I did at this point (essentially decisions are made in pre-judging so I wasn’t going to really change anyone’s mind). So I got on stage and had fun and that was great. I wish I felt that way in pre-judging because I know my lack of confidence and nerves showed but no way to go back now.

I placed 3rd in the true novice category out of 4 girls, and 6th in both novice and masters out of 6 girls. I did not place in the open category. The medals are nice sure but overall I am more proud of the journey than the actual stage experience.

 

I am only 2 weeks post-show. I am staying on track. I did not expect to struggle as much as I am. It is difficult to maintain the same level of discipline in my diet. Training is fine, in fact, I am pushing myself and getting personal bests often. But, I am finding, in the absence of a strict goal, it’s becoming more and more challenging to stay motivated to keep my diet on track.

I am not sure where to go from here. I know I won’t compete in 2023 again. I have goals/plans to compete in 2-3 shows in 2024 but also know I need to build muscle. My conditioning was great. I could have followed my plan better some days but I would say overall I was at 85-90% adherence for 11 months of the process. I hadn’t had a drink of alcohol since February, nearly 8 months. I did drink post-show a couple of times but am not planning to do that often.


I had certainly heard many competitors experience post-competition blues, but I mentally thought I had prepared myself well enough. The high of the competition has quickly faded and I am left with a sense of emptiness and a loss of purpose. I strive for goals and tangible plans to get me to a point where I want/need to be. I do not see how that is going to equate now. I cannot believe it’s been only 2 weeks since I competed. I just checked the calendar again because I swore it was longer.

My new plan is to take it one day at a time. I know it's essential to set new goals. My next step is to figure that out, potentially switch things up, and continue to push forward. I know this is a personal journey but it’s been challenging to see some of the people I competed with to plan for their next show in a short amount of time. I know that’s not where I need to be, but it doesn’t mean I am not still sad to not be experiencing that again.

Competing in my first bodybuilding competition was an extraordinary journey filled with challenges, triumphs, and post-show struggles. It not only transformed my physique but also my mindset, teaching me about the power of discipline, hard work, and self-belief. While there will continue to be moments of struggle post-show, it also taught me the importance of setting new goals to keep growing and evolving. Ultimately, this experience showed me that the journey itself is the most rewarding part of any endeavor, and the lessons learned along the way are invaluable.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Weeks Out

10 Months Later....We're Getting There!