Finally Ready to be Happy Again

2 years and 4 months. That's how long I have actually been unable to fully work out. If you go back to my blog posts you can see when it all started. 2 years and 4 months ago. It was then I felt on top of the world. I was the healthiest and strongest I have been ever. But things don't always go as planned.

I spent over 1 year just figuring out what was wrong with me and another year with no exercise just trying to normalize my back from the herniated disks I had been diagnosed with. In that time I gained back all the weight I lost when I started CrossFit in 2014. I was miserable and wanting to exercise so bad. But I followed the orders and waited.

During that time I tried to eat well but I really struggled because I was unhappy with myself and the lack of activity. I tried a big box gym. I tried walking the dogs, various eating programs, etc. None of it worked for what I needed.

I probably could have gone back sooner. But I needed to be ready. And I wasn't.

About 2 weeks ago a friend and I ran into a gym goer at a bar. She told us how much we were missed at the gym. And that was all I needed. I convinced my friend it was time for us to go back. I felt ready.

I spent the weekend mentally preparing myself. I had availability to attend my favorite class 4 days that week. I went for 5 days in a row. I was back.

Do I still hate the weight I gained? Of course, I do. Do I hate the way I look? You bet. And the fact that none of my clothes fit. Yes, all of that too. But I am ready to start over. To be stronger again.

I have a tougher schedule this week and cannot attend my favorite afternoon class. That means I have to go at 6am. I convinced my same friend to go with me at 6am. I have been to 6am 2x this week. I will go to 6am tomorrow. I have plans to go the afternoon class the next two days after that and yoga one of those days after CrossFit.

Part of me is mad at myself. I do this often (every few years) where something (normally injury) causes me to stop working out and all the hard work I put in is down the drain. I am sad about that. But I am also confident that since I did it before, I can do it again.

I am counting my macros and trying to lean out. I bought supplements. I am taking BCAA's and a few other things. I have a dress to fit into in September so it's crunch time.

At the same time, I am being careful. Today was deadlift in a workout. I did deadlift last week, it was fine. I did it today. I was off balance and felt a twinge in the left side of my back. I stopped right away. I did not continue as I know better now. Progress in some fashion.

I won't be lifting heavy or going for crazy one rep maxes. I will be lifting what my body can handle. I will be fueling appropriately. I will enjoy being back in the gym with my barbell in my hand because that's where my happy place is. And so, it's time to be happy again.






























Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Getting on Stage and Post Show Update

5 Weeks Out

10 Months Later....We're Getting There!