A New Chapter. Finally.

It's been just about 9 months since my last post. For those of you that remember my journey, it started out with highs from finding myself loving a new hobby (CrossFit) to being diagnosed two herniated disks in my back that took me out of my training consistently and then out of it entirely. I did nothing during the time I was recovering. I gained back the majority of the weight I lost when I started CrossFit in 2014.

Since June of 2017, I literally walked maybe a couple of times a month. I just didn't have the motivation, as always happens to me when I get an injury. In that time I switched jobs because the commute was killing me and my back. I believe now that I struggled so much during that time partly because of my commute. My commute is now 20 minutes from my house. After about 6 months of the new job and taking a lot of time off (well it's a lot to me!) I am cautiously optimistic that I am recovering well.

I no longer have pain or flare-ups. I was able to travel to Europe, sitting for an extended period of time on a plane, with no issues. I slowly started going back to activity.

On February 1 I was able to join a local country club with fantastic facilities. I began testing the waters with my back. Doing mostly cardio and then some machines. I hired a trainer mid-month after feeling like I was doing okay with the workouts and pain-free, which I was. During this evaluation, I realized that I hadn't lost everything. She commented on how strong I was and how good my form was in several movements. She put me through a workout with a met-con at the end. I didn't die.

It's the end of the month. I hadn't found anything to make me consistent about going to the gym. I loved seeing my trainer but 1x a week was all I could manage. About 1 year ago I bought the diet templates from Renaissance Periodization. (RP) I enjoyed them, they made me think about how to eat properly and enough for my body and workouts. I considered going back to them but wanted a more immediate fix so I considered Keto.

Keto is a program where you eat high fat, moderate protein, low carb diet. I had done South Beach before, many years ago, and had success so I figured this would be an excellent fit. I did not think about the one thing I have that other person who does Keto don't. High Cholesterol. In speaking with a friend who had done Keto and had inherited high cholesterol from a young age like me, she talked about how much it had increased her cholesterol levels, even though she was on meds. (I am not on meds. I have done everything possible over the years to lower my cholesterol. It's never under 220. It's just a thing for me.

After talking with her, I switched gears immediately and decided to recommit to RP and also their Female Physique Training Templates (FPT). I had half ass attempted the diet plan in the form of what they call a Cut before. I wasn't strict. I wasn't committed. I lost some weight, but I was also thinner back then in general. I am over 10lbs heavier than when I first tried this. I have never done the training template. I have talked in other posts about my fitness life which has evolved since I was 13. The model just requires you to have 5 years knowledge of weight lifting and such. I have that, hands down. I got the 5 days a week template Saturday. Sunday I went to Costco and meal prepped. Monday I was ready.

Monday was going to be different. I knew it. In the past when I had tried the diet templates I struggled with counting the macros and the times of day to eat. (I eventually got a scale which has since been the best purchase ever! Perfect Portions Scale. Available on Amazon or at Bed Bath & Beyond)  I just couldn't commit. This time I had been making my gym time first thing in the morning, rather than afternoon like when I did CrossFit. I wake at 5am and am to the gym by 6am or earlier. Because of this, my diet templates were different. It was like starting from scratch. I was ready.

My diet was on point Monday. I planned ALL my meals in advance perfectly. I felt like I was always eating. I was never hungry, but I ate when I was supposed to. My workout was good. Traditional cardio (elliptical) and then weights (the templates). I was able to pick movements for the types of muscles that were to be trained. The options were enough that anyone could find something. It was more traditional lifting and perfect to get me back into feeling comfortable with weights and a new routine.

Monday night I had a work meeting. I did not get home until 10pm, but that did not stop me from prepping my food for Tuesday. I did not make anything special. I merely used everything I had prepared and portioned it out. I did not get to have eggs or any breakfast food this morning, BUT my macros were on point.

I know what you're thinking - I am only 2 days in. But I know when something is going to work. I can feel it. My husband has never been a dieter. He doesn't understand that some people need something more than a low-calorie diet. He cuts back on his calorie intake and drops 10lbs in a week. That just isn't me (or most women). He continually gives me a hard time about trying a new diet or plan every week. It's not that he's not supportive....okay maybe he's not...either way, I am not doing any of this for support from him. I know myself, and I know what I need. Right now, I think I found it. I cannot wait to see the changes I can make.

Comments

  1. LOVE THIS!!! I love that you're back to writing, working out, and feeling good about yourself! <3

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Getting on Stage and Post Show Update

5 Weeks Out

10 Months Later....We're Getting There!