Continuously Learning (Pain Management)

Last week was not an ideal week for me. I worked out 3x only to find that on the 4th day my back was acting up again, with no explanation as to why or what I had done to cause it. Typical.

The first day it hurt, it was manageable but super uncomfortable when I was sitting at work. So I decided to take a walk and inspect the property for an hour or so.

The next day after this, I woke in more pain than I have ever been in. So much pain I cried while I got ready. I couldn't bend at my waist at all, not even enough to put a towel on my head.  I had to lay on the bed with my feet in the air to put my underwear and pants on. I walked ever to slowly to the car in hopes that the seat heater would give me some relief.

I made it to work and found that now I was okay. I often get asked if I have tried various things. Let me tell you what I have tried. Heat, ice, tens-unit, stretching (which is impossible on super bad days), lido-cane patch, etc. Some days certain things work. This day the heat was all I needed. Some days nothing helps and I am left grasping at straws for any form of slight relief. Pills do not work. Not even in the slightest.
This is where my back hurts.
The pain does not travel down my legs,
my butt or anywhere else. Only there. 

That day I made a decision. I constantly preach preventative maintenance regarding my properties, why wasn't I doing the same for my body!? I immediately bought a groupon for 2 months of unlimited yoga as well as a back rehab program recommended by a CrossFit friend.

This weekend I went to yoga on Sunday. It was fine. It's not like I have never done yoga before. I have. On and off for years. Mostly with a groupon because I find it super difficult to commit to because I don't enjoy it. But this time I decided that despite my non-enjoyment of yoga, it needed to be done.

Often times we have to do things we dislike because it's good for us. This is me and yoga. I will never like it.  But I am going to stop trying to force myself to like it. Today I start the back program to strengthen my back and hopefully prevent this from getting any worse. I am scared I will have chronic pain for the rest of my life. So if I do, I have to make it so it's not that bad.

My friend who went with me yesterday to yoga urged me to get the MRI I need. She thinks I might have a herniated disk. She has chronic pain in her back and so it was nice to talk to someone that got it and had some advice. She told me not to run but walking is okay.

I still ran this morning. I am not giving up. I am just changing my ways and continuously learning what works and what doesn't. And that is constantly changing.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Getting on Stage and Post Show Update

5 Weeks Out

10 Months Later....We're Getting There!