Always Learning Something: I AM STRONG

Monday was my first day back at the gym since my Vegas trip, and I was determined to push hard and get in a great workout. The workout involved clean & jerks. One of my favorite movements! I am good at them but not as good at the squat part of it, which is an actual clean & jerk.
I opted to work on my clean & jerk with the squat and managed to nail a PR at 110. I couldn't quite get the 115, but I committed to it! It was perfect for me since my squat is SO awful. 

The met con part of the workout was where I learned something thanks to my coach. Because I hadn't worked out in several days, I wanted to ensure I got a good workout in. The met con was six power cleans (love these!) and 12 pull ups in 1 minute. When you are unable to complete this in one minute, you are done. I could not do 12 pull ups in 1 minute without the cleans, so some of us modified to push ups. RX was 95lbs. I thought I would go for 85lbs initially. But then I remembered wanting to get in a good workout. So I knocked it down to 75lbs. 

I got through 6 rounds and ended up being the last person still working. As I finished the 6th round of push ups, I went over to my bar and found it was not my bar. I have my own bar so it was apparently changed out. I yelled at my coach informing her that was not my bar. She yelled back just to pick it up. Annoyed, I continued the round at 85lbs (the switched out barbell). I got through another around this time with 85lbs at the END of the workout and did an 8th round getting through the cleans only. 

Honestly, it was pretty cool. Everyone around me was sitting, cheering me on like I was in a competition. And it wasn't that hard. So what did I learn? I should have done it at 85lbs. But I struggle with this a lot of times because in my head I need to go faster to get a good workout. And I also don't always recognize how strong I am.

Thanks to my coach Bri for showing me I can do more when I think I cannot.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Getting on Stage and Post Show Update

5 Weeks Out

10 Months Later....We're Getting There!